XL Pro Tips on how to get hired by Netflix, SpaceX, & Google!
What are some great attributes to start with and can you learn them? When going into an interview, no matter where you are, the best thing you can bring is your personality and preparedness. A degree can get you far, and maybe score you a job, but there is more value to what you have learned outside of school that can take you farther. So what are the top dog companies looking for specifically?
Getting in with Netflix – A degree is required for most of the positions listed on their website so if you do not have a degree can you still score the table turning interview? The answer is: Yes, and you do not need a degree. However, that does not mean that Netflix’s requirements are loosely bound. You will likely need an equivalent experience to showcase your specialized knowledge. Here are a few things Netflix is seeking in applicants:
- Make your social media presence stand out with your talents to catch the eyes of Netflix recruiters.
- Attend events hosted by Netflix.
- Ask employees about advice and referrals.
- Read up on everything you can about Netflix. Check out Netflix’s Company Culture Memo that has been released to the public.
- Follow up with them directly.
“Stone Age, Bronze Age, and Iron Age we define entire epics of humanity by the technology they use.”
Google – First impressions are important here, as there are tons of applicants from around the world. Google wants to know how you stand out, are you a leader, and how you can show that you have what it takes to work for one of the biggest companies in the US! Here are some more specific tips we found:
- According to Forbes and Google, you will first need to ace the phone interview, where you will be asked questions over a 30 – 60 minute phone call based on the role you are applying for.
- Be prepared – Have questions, notes, and any research prepared before any interviews.
- If you are applying for a technical role, it is pretty obvious that you will need to know at least one coding language. You will likely have to demonstrate your coding abilities in the interview.
- Master the onsite interview by showing your knowledge, skills, preparedness, personality, and leadership abilities.
- Lastly, you will be scored based on your interviews, work samples submitted, and resume. Google may take a few weeks to get back to you, but you are able to follow up with a recruiter.
“I would like to see anyone be able to achieve their dreams, and that’s what this organization does.”
SpaceX – Famous for seeking degree-less geniuses, Elon Musk could care less for paperwork and tends to focus more on what YOU are capable of. So what is SpaceX looking for in applicants? Here is what you need to know:
- Be able to solve his riddles
- Get ready to go through a lot of interviews – more than Google. According to Glass door’s successful individuals, you will need a pass from each interviewer before you get the job. The interviews include phone calls, emailed tests, onsite interviews, and onsite presentations.
- Write an essay for Elon Musk. The reasoning behind this has been to create a personal experience with almost every applicant.
- Be prepared to have the necessary experience if you do not have a degree.
- Be a mathematician because… It is rocket science!
“Just work like hell. I mean you just have to put in 80 – 100 hour weeks every week. All of those things improve the odds of success.”
While all of these jobs may seem quite different, the commonality of the few big companies listed all seem to merge in line with what YOU can do, YOUR attitude, and what YOU are capable of. Degree or not.